I'm much minded to stay where I am, to be honest. Let's do a comparison chart and you guys can advise me if you feel like it.
Staying where I am:
- I really like it here. It's a gorgeous appartment, the landlord is a darling and everything suits me just perfectly.
- It's nearer to work.
- I have 2 1/2 rooms plus a proper kitchen and bathroom, and plenty of space and enough for guests.
- It's expensive. I'm spending nearly half my salary on accommodation and related expenses.
Moving to the Wenner-Gren:
- It's a lot cheaper. I'd probably save around £200 a month, maybe more.
- Social advantage of living with other researchers, it would be as close as I could get to going back to student-type living.
- Close to the city centre, so convenient for shul, for socializing and for getting more into the cultural life of the city.
- The hassle and expense of moving. I'm getting stressed just thinking about it.
- The timing isn't sensible. I would move in mid-September, and the most likely thing to happen is that my job will finish at the end of May 2008, so I'd get less than a year in the flat. The second most likely thing is a two-year extension, until summer 2010, but if that happens I will have to move twice because I can only live in W-G for two years ie until September 2009. The least likely outcome is a one-year extension until summer 2009, which would make moving somewhat more appealing at least on these grounds.
- Further from work, though not ludicrously far.
- The flat is freaking tiny; it's a studio with a kitchenette and a bathroom, and although that might be easier to clean, I'm not sure I want the living in an inconvenient box aspect of student living.
Edit 11 June: I contacted the admin person today and said I wouldn't take the flat and they should make it available for someone else. Thanks for all your good advice; it's always pleasant to have one's inclination confirmed by more neutral friends!